Sunday, October 20, 2013

Infinity and Beyond

By Neil Degal

              “Just keep on trying while you still can, do it with no regrets,” this vision what made, current University of the Philippines (UP) Cebu Sciences cluster teacher and a Magna Cum Laude graduate of UP Cebu batch 2012, John Titus Jungao successful in his academics.

              The 20-year-old Boholano, who once dreamt to become an astronaut, was a consistent University Scholar, a recognition given to students with an average of 1.45 or better in a semester.

He finished his studies at UP Cebu as Magna Cum Laude and the class valedictorian of batch 2012 with the degree of BS Mathematics with a final average of 1.30.

              How did he make it? According to him, “it is just a matter of enjoying what you are doing while spending quality time on academics.”

              He emphasized that in achieving this; one must take his/her studies seriously and listen to every discussion in class.

               Aside from his academics, he was also active in university organizations, to name a few – UP Dormers’ Association, UP-Serenata, UP Cebu- Youth for Christ, UP Math Majors Circle and UP-KadBol( Kadugong Bol-anon). He said that it is okay to be active in such organizations. However, you have to discipline yourself.

          “Balance the two [academics and extracurricular activities]. Most of the time, I take academics over extracurricular activities. However, if the time comes that there will be conflict, I analyse the situation.”

             He then told us on how he balances the situation. “If you have time for academics before the conflict of schedule, then study ahead. Then if none, then evaluate yourself if you are prepared enough without further reviews. You have to set your priorities. As for me, if I have conflict between exams and performances in UP-Serenata, I take the exam in advance.”

             Despite of his bright career, he shared to us the failures he encountered as a student. “Of course, I do have. I had failing scores in some long exams man sad. The lowest that I can recall was 40%. Maybe I forgot the others kay ubos na jud kayo. (Of course, I do have [failures]. I had failing grades in some long exams too. The lowest that I can recall was 40%. Maybe I forgot the others because I got even lower grades before)”

             According to him, graduating with honors was tough. “Some friends of mine are always telling me that I would graduate with honors but I was never thinking about it much during my undergraduate life.”

“I only do my very best in every situation so that I won’t regret any in the end. Thankfully, that thinking produced great outcomes.”

During his valedictory address in the graduation rites last April 24, 2012, he cited that college life is fun and memorable with all the ups and downs. We should learn from it and use it as our inspiration in our life after graduation.

“Always remember to serve the country and its people. We should be the modern-day heroes like Jose Rizal that will find the cure to the social cancer.”

As of today, he is serving as a faculty member of UP Cebu. He is currently teaching trigonometry, statistics, and calculus among students in different courses and year levels.

He is also busy in his social life and hobbies like keeping a turtle and doing workout.

“And the thing that makes me really busy is checking papers and blue books of my students. It is indeed a labor of love,” he added.

He advised the students to persevere in trying.

“Do not quit trying. Never give up. Good things will come to those who persevere. The difficulties and struggles are just part of your life. We should not turn back from these; instead, we should bravely face it so you can learn out from it and grow into a better person.”



No comments:

Post a Comment